What are the possible outcomes from the SLCC's process?
We can recommend or order the following if we uphold your complaint:
- An apology - either from the lawyer or the firm.
- Fees - a reduction or refund of fees (and VAT or other costs).
- Compensation for loss - money for any expense you had which was a direct result of the inadequate professional service. This can include the financial impact of any loss of opportunity.
- Compensation for inconvenience and distress – compensation for any inconvenience and distress in relation to the poor service and having to pursue a complaint.
- Putting it right - the firm carries out work, or takes other action, to correct what has gone wrong.
How much compensation?
The most common compensation amounts for inconvenience and distress are between £150-£500.
The average compensation amount for inconvenience and distress is between £1,000-£1,200.
For actual loss we will need to see evidence. The average amounts for compensation for actual loss are higher than for inconvenience and distress. However we are ten times more likely to compensate for inconvenience and distress than for actual loss.*
The total limit on the compensation payable to a Complainer is £20,000, with a limit within that of £5,000 on compensation for inconvenience and distress. It is very rare for the compensation to be £20,000.
Have a look at our case studies to find out more about the different outcomes your complaint might have.
*All stats are based on 2016-2019 data.